Friday, October 13, 2017

Friday's Fave Five #451



Is it Friday already?  Holy smokes where did that week go?  Good thing I have Friday's Fave Five to slow down and notice my blessings and good things from the last week.  Join us as we share 5 of them.

Thanksgiving celebrations.  Last weekend was Canada's Thanksgiving celebrations.   I love that Canada does theirs early in the fall.  It totally helps focus us on being thankful and grateful for all the good things in our lives.  There is no shopping hoopla, Christmas rush, and the stress that the beginning of Christmas month brings.  

  

Family that made it home.  As the kids have grown up and gone off to live their lives, holidays are getting harder to have everyone home every single holiday.  This year we missed my oldest daughter and her husband, as they couldn't make the 6 1/2 drive due to work commitments. But my son made it home for the weekend which was awesome and of course, my youngest daughter who lives at home was here.  My mom came for dinner as did my sister and her family.  It was really nice and I was grateful for those who made it safe and sound.  

Turkey that turned out perfect.  Every year I stress about the turkey.  And this year was no exception.  I bought a huge one thinking I might have 3 extra coming but it turned out they couldn't make it.  So here I was with this huge turkey.  But I went on the Alberta turkey website and followed their cooking instruction times and it turned out absolutely perfect.  I have to say, it was the most relaxed holiday dinner cook I have ever had.  Everything was done right on time. And the huge turkey was a bonus because, hello, leftover turkey buns!  Yummy!

Pear Crisp.  Crisp is one of my favorite all time desserts.  I ran across this recipe earlier in the week and thought I'd give it a try for one of our Thanksgiving desserts.  It was an hit with everyone.  So delicious.  And bonus for me, crisps are easy and no fuss.  I never would have thought to use pears had I not seen this recipe.  It's a keeper dessert for sure.  

Day of rest.  In Canada, Thanksgiving day is actually the Monday.  But I hosted the dinner on the Saturday, we went to the other one on Sunday which gave us a wonderful day to sleep in, cozy up with blankets, coffee and books and not be rushed.  It was wonderful.

What were your favorite blessings from you week?




10 comments:

Wendy said...

Sounds like you had a great thanksgiving and good plan to keep the Monday free to chill afterwards. That pear recipe looks easy and tasty. Enjoy the weekend.

Gattina said...

It took me some years to get over the fact that especially Christmas will never be as it used to be when our son still lived with us. Now I hope that I am arrived at a point that I don't care. We are only two so if one person is missing that makes a big hole but on the other hand his wife too has a family !

Faith said...

Oh I am so glad you had a wonderful ( and perfectly cooked!!) Thanksgiving dinner. When i didnt see any visit on my FFF from,you I thought mYbe you had gone away for your holiday!

i just lovemthe way you decorated your table!!!! and i love pear crisp. havent made it in a long time cause everyone else here prefers apple crisp!
sleeping in, relaxing wth books and coffee.l.a perfect day!

Susan said...

How wonderful to have a relaxed Thanksgiving weekend. You had the best of all worlds: celebration and sleeping in.

I discovered pear crisp last year when a friend made them for an event. I agree, very yummy and easy to make.

It would be nice to have the American TD earlier in the season. It would be a great way to start the holidays.

So glad you had family to enjoy your weekend with. Have another great week.

Willow said...

I like the idea that Thanksgiving in Canada is earlier. I wish Americans celebrated earlier too because as you noted, the holiday wouldn't smash up against Christmas.

I'm glad your dinner turned out so well. That pear crisp especially sounds yummy! It was good to have that quiet free day, too.

Have a great weekend.

nikkipolani said...

Wonderful! Your table looks like a perfect welcome for your loved ones to enjoy your time together and that perfect turkey. Glad you had the actual day to rest and recharge. I'm totally looking up that pear crisp! Thank you!

Barbara H. said...

I like the idea, too, of an earlier Thanksgiving away from "Black Friday" and the Christmas rush. Glad you had a great time, a wonderful meal, most of the family there, and a nice day of rest afterwards.

The pear crisp sounds wonderful. I like pears but I don't think my husband does - but maybe with the extra stuff, he might. :)

Ann said...

An earlier Thanksgiving date sounds great to me. In the U.S., everything is all balled up together and it is stressful.

I smile to think about the difference in U.S. and Canada holidays. Years ago, my husband and I took a trip to Glacier National Park, Waterton, Calgary, and Banff. We congratulated ourselves that our itinerary had us home before the crowded July 4 U.S. holiday. We got quite an education when we arrived in Banff on July 1!!! :-)

Karen said...

It sounds like a wonderful Thanksgiving. Very nice and relaxing, the way holidays should be. I wish our Thanksgiving was earlier. Maybe I'll just start celebrating with you all;)

2nd Cup of Coffee said...

Hi, Susanne! It was fun reading this. I always think of you when I’m reminded of Canadian Thanksgiving. It sounds like you are well and happy. I have two grands and one on the way. Sending love from Indiana.