Friday, July 14, 2017

Friday's Fave Five #438


Welcome to week two of the Heat Wave!  Oh my goodness, we are wilting here in Southern Alberta!  it is 10 o'clock at night as I type this and it is still  30*C (86*F).  Saturday is supposed to be 35*C (that is 95*F).  Hot, hot, hot.  Some of you might not think so but to us that is hot especially for this extended period of time!  We might have a day or so of 30 - 32 but then our average is usually the high 20's.  But anyway, enough of weather talk.  Let's talk blessings and being grateful!  If you are new, guidelines are linked in the sidebar then please join on in!

 In no particular order here are some of my favorite blessings from the week:

1.  Two day reprieve from the heat.  A couple of days this week the clouds rolled in and the temperature dropped and a good breeze blew.  It was wonderful.  We could actually turn off the air conditioning and open up the windows and just let the breeze cool the house.  Going to the playground with the kids was way more comfortable and I am very thankful that there was those 2 days for those who don't have air conditioning to help out.

2.   Celebrating my mom's birthday.  Mom's birthday was last Sunday and we had a nice time blessing her and taking her out to dinner for ribs.   I'm very thankful that we still have these times.

3 & 4.  Help in a time of need.  Even as I was making this post, my daughter called to say she was having car issues as she was driving home from visiting her sister in another province.  The 1st thing I'm thankful for here is that she made it to a city and didn't break down all by herself in the middle of nowhere on the highway.  I praise God for that.  I try not to worry too much and try to put my kids (young adults) into God's hands when they are on the road but I tell ya, this kind of stuff always nags in the back of my mind.  It's also a blessing that the phone was to tell us that and not that she'd had an accident!  So very grateful for that.

And the second thing concerning this is that she happened to be in the city where our nephew lives and he knows cars.  But when we tried to get a hold of him I could only leave a message and wait for him call back.  Then we found out he'd moved here.  Oh no.  But when he called me back, lo and behold, he "just happened " to be in the city where my daughter was still.  Hadn't quite finished moving and he went immediately to help her out.  So thankful and appreciative that he was so selfless.

So now my girl is tucked away in a nice little hotel room so she wouldn't have to drive in the dark.  She'll head out in the morning.  And like she said, once she got over the frustration, she thought she'd just go with the flow and adventure, " because you never know, Mom, it very well could be God keeping me from some tragedy or happening farther down the road."  Loved that thought and attitude.  

5.   Wading pool.  With this heat I'm so glad I have a wading pool that's big enough to fit the older dayhome kids so they can beat the heat and have some water fun.  I can't leave it up all week 'cause it kills the lawn underneath but for 2 - days a week that thing is busy doing it's job.  Money well spent!

Well I'm looking forward to a lazy day Friday with some more pool time with the kids and a movie afternoon.  Have a great weekend everyone!

What were you're favorites this week?






8 comments:

Susan said...

Extended high temps sure can be demoralizing! We've been dealing with that, too. so glad you had a couple of days of cooler weather and a pool.

I dealt with car issues and celebrated a family birthday as well this week.Lots to be grateful for in these two scenarios.

I hope this week is a lot cooler and for more days.

Gattina said...

I love warm weather but until 25° that's ideal after that it becomes very uncomfortable especially because we have no air conditioning ! In Ireland a heat wave is at 25° lol ! It's always rather cool there in summer max 20°. Good that your daughter got out of her troubles, when we have kids it's not until they are 18 it's until the end of your life, and we worry, lol !

Faith said...

wow!!! temps in the 90s for southern Alberta??? this whole clomate change thing is really tough isnt it? Im glad you have central air....ours has been on most of the week due to our high humidity and temps of high 80s. I need the central air ti sleep. Hooefully your heat wave will break over the weekend and you can enjoy more outdoor time. Thank God for pools!!

That is awesome how the Lord worked everything out for your daughter. I still pray every single time one of the girls is out driving for any length of time or distance. So smart of her to get a hotel room AND love that attitude too!

enjoy the weekend.

Wendy said...

We had a recent spell of very hot weather and with no air con it was difficult - especially at night so I'm glad it's cooled down here. Belated birthday wishes for your Mum and glad to hear your daughter was rescued!

Willow said...

I'm so glad it all worked out for your daughter when her car broke down. And love that attitude!
I can imagine that your day care kids just wait for the news that 'today's the day' for the wading pool!
Happy Birthday to your mom!

Barbara H. said...

It's been very hot here, too - high 80s. We're supposed to get some rain later on, so hopefully that will cool things off a bit. Glad the kids could go outside comfortably on the cooler days and have the pool to cool off in on the warmer days.

It's so nice your mom lives near enough to celebrate birthdays together!

Wow, it's wonderful how things worked out with your daughter and her car, especially her cousin being in town at the same time. I have to admit I am not much of a go with the flow and enjoy the adventure person, but that attitude does help in situations like this. And I do remind myself of the same thing, that maybe God intervened and changed my plans to protect me from something ahead I didn't know about. Sometimes I wonder if we're going to spend part of our time in heaven hearing about what was going on behind the scenes in some of these incidents.

nikkipolani said...

Oh, yes, that is PLENTY hot. And I know what you mean about having those hot days in a row. It can be exhausting.

So good to hear about God's provision for your family, arranging so that her cousin was available to help out.

Here's to sliding into your lazy Friday with ease and perhaps a little lowering of the temperatures.

ellen b said...

Hope you got some relaxation in over the weekend and that days are cooler this week for you.